Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ASDL setup  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
ASDL setup
« on: December 12, 2003, 18:30 »
I have received my asdl modem and micro filters from Pipex. Activation date is set for 16th dec. My question is should I be installing modem and configuring my pc now, or wait until after 16th Dec.
Also, if I install asdl modem, will I still be able to use 56K modem until the 16th Dec.  ???
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:ASDL setup
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 18:45 »
I don't think it will cause any conflicts so you may as well, I'll also be doing something similar in Feb as my Exchange has been given an activation date for Feb 25h :D
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 18:54 »
Lona. found this for you, I hope it helps  ;)

ISP Migration: ADSL Broadband Accounts

Description: Transfer your ADSL number from one ISP to a new ISP with minimal loss of service. This can be done by some ISP's with the few minutes it takes you to apply your new user name and password to your connection settings. Please note that not all ISP's are yet able to do this smoothly eg Gio this is an example of one ISP who prefer new users not to use the migration process. Gio prefer you to leave your original ISP and use a dial up connection then order their ADSL BB as a new customer. An example of an ISP who is accomplished with the migration process is Eclipse. There is a migration fee as BT charge ISP's to use this service but it does mean you will not have to revert to 56K.

How To: Start the Process

Contact your ISP to obtain your CBUK number which contains all the details about your ADSL account. This is data protected but allows both ISP's to communicate all the necessary details needed to activate your request.

Contact your new ISP giving them the CBUK number. Eclipse has an online form to fill out which also sets up your new e-mail address and web space. You must choose the same package your are currently using i.e. 50:1 contention rate which most users have. Once your account is set up you can then upgrade to 20:1 or 1MB if offered.

The next stage is between both ISP's. You can check the progress of your order online as this is updated at each stage. There are a lot of loops in this part as details have to be sent to BT Wholesale who then contact your ISP asking them if they permit your line to be released. Your ISP will contact you to confirm this request has been made by yourself. The loop goes back to BT wholesale who then loop to BT communications to obtain a release date. This date is then sent back to your new ISP who will advise you of the actual date you will be transferred.

Your status sheet should then show all the settings you need to know for your mail servers plus allocate your new user name and password. This can all be viewed by logging into your account with your new ISP. Your original ISP should also confirm by letter and replace your account to a dial up. You do not need to use the dial up connection but it is wise to keep it for a while as you will be able to access your e-mail account unitl you are sure everyone knows your new address.

On the due date your ISP will release your ADSL line: this will be obvious as you will realise you are not able to send mail or continue to browse the Internet. As soon as this happens change your user name and password via your modem or router, refresh the page and you will now find you are using the services of your new ISP.

If it doesnt sorry Its Friday night Hic (yes already)  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 19:14 »
I don't think Lona is transferring from ADSL to another ADSL, Hook, but that would be handy for someone who is.   ;)

Lona, you can install your modem, and it should automatically set up the connection for you, which you should then find under Internet Options > Connections, and you should end up with a desktop icon which you click on to get online when you switch over on the 16th.  Until then, you can still continue to use your default dial up connection.  On the 16th go into Internet Options > Connections and switch your default connection to the Pipex one.  Another thing to remember to change (on the 16th) is the Outgoing Server in your e-mail program, which should be set to smtp.dsl.pipex.com, regardless of your Incoming Server details.  If you do install everything prior to the 16th, don't be surprised to see your dial up connection slow down a little.  I think this is to do with the line being split.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 19:46 »
Thanks Simon. :). Next question.... after I have configured ASDL modem can I unplug ASDl modem from telephone socket and plug in my 56K modem and use until 16th Dec. I suppose I can't have both connected at the same time.?

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 19:50 »
You have to have the 56k conected to a splitter when the ADSL is activated Lona so put your splitter in and have both connected then each day when you start the pc try your ADSL connection first as Pipex usually have it activated a few days before they say it is.
If it doesnt connect then connect on 56K   :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 19:56 »
Thanks Sandra :D. The spitter, do I put the 56K connection into the one that says phone?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 20:05 »
Yes, you will find that there are 2 different sockets so they will only go into the correct hole.
If for some reason yours are the same then it would be the one marked phone for a voice telephone or your 56k modem  :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 21:10 »
I have arrived and running riot on the net. No more sitting for ages waiting for pages to load.  I can even see the sigs without having to wait for them to load. Simon, don't you ever complain about Sandra's music again. You want to put a lid on Noddy. :D ;D :D

Adept

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 21:22 »

I have arrived and running riot on the net. No more sitting for ages waiting for pages to load.  I can even see the sigs without having to wait for them to load.

Isn't broadband wonderful Lona? :) I promised myself I wouldn't do BB gloaty like the others, but it is impossible not to be smug about it isn't it? ::)

Simon, don't you ever complain about Sandra's music again. You want to put a lid on Noddy. :D ;D :D

Couldn't agree more! ;D :bald:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 22:04 »
Well done, Lona!  Pipex have dramatically quickened their set up procedures lately.  When Sandra and I first went over to BB, it took about three weeks to get it going!  You've got online in about 3 days!  You certainly won't look back now.  Welcome to the gloaters club!

P.S.  I may be going for the 1Mb in the new year.   ;) :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2003, 22:08 »
Congratulations Lona......ain't it great to be smooooooooooooookin  ;D

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Adept

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 22:24 »

P.S.  I may be going for the 1Mb in the new year.   ;) :D

Hey Simon, does this help your decision:-

BT Wholesale has started the New Year sales early with its news of half price activation on its BT Datastream products. This offer covers BT DataStream Office 500/1000/2000 products and is a drop from £50+VAT to £25+VAT. The offer will run from 12th January 2004 until 30th April 2004. In the past some ISPs have used offers like this to do free activation, but in the main most providers simply pass the savings on.

In an effort to further stimulate demand for the faster 1Mbps and 2Mbps connections, BT is also reducing the regrade fee for many products from £35+VAT to £25+VAT for the period from 12th January to 30th April 2004. Also at long last BT has announced the end of the two-step regrade process for users wanting to go from BT IPStream 500 to BT IPStream Home 1000, from 12th January 2004, this will incur just the one regrade fee. BT IPStream 500 is the old 0.5Mbps engineer installed service, where a BT engineer fitted the ADSL faceplate and let an ADSL USB modem to use on the connection.

The products included in the regrade offer are:

* BT IPStream Home 500 to BT IPStream Home 1000
    * BT IPStream Office 500 to BT IPStream Office 1000
    * BT IPStream Office 500 to BT IPStream Office 2000
    * BT IPStream Office 1000 to BT IPStream Office 2000
    * BT IPStream 500 to BT IPStream Home 1000
    * BT IPStream S 500 to BT IPStream S 1000
    * BT IPStream S 500 to BT IPStream S 2000
    * BT IPStream S 1000 to BT IPStream S 2000

Edit: Quote from ADSLGuide BTW

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 22:55 »
Congratulations Lona!  To think that you once thought that you would never be able to get BB in your area too!  I could still handle another tenfold increase in speed though and I will certainly go for 1Mb just as soon as it's offered to me.  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 23:25 »
Errr... I'm not sure, Sean.  Does it?   I'm not certain I understand what all that means.  :-\  As far as I understand it, if I were to take up the offer from Pipex, the subscription will be £33.99 inc VAT per month.  Upgrading to the 1Mb service will incur a fee of £35 + VAT.  Are you saying it would be cheaper to go with BT?  I don't think I want to change ISPs.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum