Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Black screen at bootup - no beeps  (Read 1862 times)

Offline jg

Black screen at bootup - no beeps
« on: January 16, 2004, 12:45 »
Dear all,

My problem is as follows:
At bootup, my PC does not show anything on monitor and does not give any beeps. But the processor and the harddisk do get warm. :(

Specification:
P4, 2MHz, 784MB RDRAM

I am not an expert but if I am not mistaken the bootsequence of a PM is roughly:
1. Power on and check by power supply
2. Processor gets "Power OK" message from the power supply
3. Processor looks at ROM
4. ROM execution gives beeps to indicate OK (one beep) or error (multiple beeps)
5. Video card test
6. Ram test
7. Harddisk
etc.

The fact that my boot does not even come to step 4 suggests that the problem is with motherboard or processor; not with memory or HD. Is this conclusion correct?
(The funny thing is that this problem emerged after I swapped RAM modules.)

Do I have to buy a new processor or a new motherboard? Which of the two? Or is there a solution? ???

Thanks in advance for any tips.

JG

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Black screen at bootup - no beeps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 13:14 »
Hi JG  :welcome:

It sounds like a bios or a memory problem but as you said no beeps its a little strange.
I assume that you have done the obvious and replaced the original ram that it worked with ?

Which mobo, cpu and ram have you got in now and previously ?

Adept

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 13:37 »
Hi JG :welcome:

The way to find out if it RAM is to remove your RAM chips temporarily and start the PC. If you get the POST beeps, then there is probably a memory-related fault. If you still don't get any beeps the problem could be motherboard or processor related.

It is sometimes worth removing all the PCI cards from the PCI too, which removes the possibility of a dead PCI card.

Occasionally, clearing the CMOS with the motherboard's jumper can also help, but try the other things first.

Offline jg

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 15:31 »
Thanks for your quick replies.

To answer your questions, I have exactly the same parts as before; I had only changed the position of the four RAM cards that I have (probably a silly thing to do) after which the problem arose. Later changed them back, as I thought they were.

I have just tried your suggestions. I have tried to boot without memory and subsequently also without video card. No difference. Still a black screen without beeps.

I still have the feeling that this is a motherboard OR processor problem. The big question is: what should I buy new? Buying both new is very expensive but how do I determine which of the two is broken???

Regards,

JG

Offline jg

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 15:48 »
Oh yes. Adept suggested to clear the CMOS with a jumper on the motherboard.

Could you expand on this? How do you do this?

Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 17:11 »
There is a clear CMOS jumper, usually but not always near the battery itself, if you can tell us which mobo you have we can be more specific.
It has 3 pins nos 1,2 and 3 and is often marked cmos at the side of the pins on the mobo itself
Normal operation is with the jumper connecting pins 1 and 2, to discharge or clear the cmos set it at 2 and 3 for a few seconds, remember to replace the jumper to the original position before restarting your pc  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 17:13 »
Hi jg,

if you look in your motherboard manual, it will tell you where it is located on the motherboard. It is a two pin "jumper" that can be used to connect pin numbers 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Usually the default [running position] is pins 1 and 2, to reset CMOS you put the "jumper" on pins 2 and 3 for two to three seconds, then back to how they were. Of course do this with the juice off  ::) then try booting up again.

If you have not got a manual, if you can find out make and model of Motherboard, then go to Manufactures website, there are usually PDF manuals to view there.

I see two fingered Sandra beat me to it [typing fingers, befor anybody asks]  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 19:17 »
Might be something worth mentioning.

The amount of memory is 768 of RDRAM

Now in 4 sticks that would be two of 256 and two of 128.

RDRAM works in matched pairs IIRC and so if you have a 256 with a 128 companion it wouldn't work.

Just check for the matching pairs and put them in the correct slots - It should then work correctly.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline jg

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 20:00 »
Unfortunately resetting CMOS did not work. I could not find the CMOS jumper but I took out the little battery on the board for about 2 hours. I read that that should have the same effect. Still the same problem: black screen without beeps. (I have an ASUS board but don't know the model number)

To answer the other question: yes, I have made sure that the 2 128MB modules are together and the 2 256 modules as well. So that is not it.

Any more suggestions or should I start shopping for a new board? I just find it so hard to accept that I have to buy a new board just because I changed the position of some RAMs. My hands must have been electrically charged when I did it and that may have damaged something?

Offline jg

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 20:11 »
An additional question:

The fact that the processor does get warm, does that mean that it is undamaged? Or is it possible that I have destroyed the processor by having electrically charged hands or by placing the cooler block on it to hard...?

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 20:16 »
The thing with the memory is that it will depend on the motherboard as to the correct position. On the one I have here it requires matching memory in slots 1+3 to work correctly (or 2+4).

What does the Motherboard Manual say? (Or if you give the number I can have a look).

Offline jg

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 21:29 »
Hi Dack (all),

At the link below you see my motherboard (almost 100% certain that this is mine)
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=p4t533-c

The slots are numbered A1, A2, B1 and B2.

Joep

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 22:13 »
Acccording to that manual the memory configuration should be:

256 in A1,
128 in A2,
256 in B1,
128 in B2

If you don't have it that way then it won't work.

If you don't have memory in the slots then you have to put the blanking memory sticks in instead (the C-Rimms)

Offline jg

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 13:06 »
All,

My problem has been solved!   :)

I tried the suggestion in the last post regarding the repositioning of the RAMs but that did not solve it. After that I took everything apart again and re-assembled it (did this twice before). Now it's solved. I have no idea what eventually made the difference. Computers are strange creatures.

One additional tip: the reason that I heard no beeps might be the following. Apparantly my motherboard offers the opportunity to turn off the beeps and instead have a voice announce what happens. If you don't have speakers plugged in that means that you don't hear anything. This may be an obvious thing to computer experts but not to someone like me. So the following time that someone complains about not hearing beeps we should give him the tip of plugging speakers in and seeing if he hears anything.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Regards,

JG

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 13:54 »
JG hi and a belated welcome to Pals.

The beeps I believe come directly off the Mobo, well they do on mine anyway  :-\

Nice one on getting the beast up and running again  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum