Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: System Restart  (Read 697 times)

Offline geEk

• New Registration
System Restart
« on: January 25, 2004, 16:33 »
Well u know theres a option in xp, to restart system. in My Computer > Props > Advanced and so on, this option apperently is for system failure, well i installed new mobo and ram yesterday, and pc has self restart since, i think it might be cuz this option is ticked. If i untick it, and the pc does come to a system failure/error .. will it permently dmg system?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:System Restart
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 18:39 »
You might want to wait for a proper 'techie', for confirmation, but I don't think it will harm your system.  I think you'll just get an error message, which might be more helpful than it auto restarting, because at least you might get a clue as to what's wrong.  I think you'll find most XP users untick that box, because auto restarting isn't all that helpful when you're trying to locate the cause of a problem.

Oh, and  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:System Restart
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 19:49 »
I always untick it on the ones that I do and I havent had a damaged one so far as I know through doing it.
You wont get any error message Simon so you wont know a problem has occurred which would have told XP to restart.
You coud check the error logs periodically and see which errors have been thrown up but there would be a lot on most days, each of which could make it restart if the option was ticked but which in themselves would cause no problem. :doggie:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum