Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: XP Problems  (Read 4399 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
XP Problems
« on: December 28, 2002, 08:56 »
Here is one for the XP people  ???.

I have been having trouble over the last couple of days with XP, with slow boot ups etc and the cd/dvd getting called a diff name and i turn making the "incd" not working.
Also had to do a system restore 2wice from a back date to get it running properly.

So decided to have a look round to see what I could find and there is a reporting page of faults Bl**dy hell all these problems are they really bad or just XP being over sensitive  ::).

Hook

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:XP Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 09:30 »
That's one of the reasons I use Norton's Utilities.  I think it would automatically sort out a lot of your problems.

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 09:41 »
Well, I can't pretend to know what they all mean, but you do seem to have a lot of errors there, Hook.  I just had a look at mine, and my errors number about 1 in 200 entries, so I would say you definitely have problems!

I think this might be one for an expert!   :-[
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 12:55 »
Might be ZA problems  ???

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 14:04 »
The Trye Vector stuff is Zone Alarm.

I had this problem - didn't know how to solve it and so use Outpost now instead !

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 17:23 »
Is it the latest version of ZoneAlarm, Hook?
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Adept

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2002, 18:14 »
That's a lot of red Hookstar :(

It could be helpful if you double clicked one of those red error messages and let us know the exact error message that shows.

As Bat69 says, make sure you have the latest version of ZoneAlarm.

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2002, 18:27 »
If all else fails try calling

0845 7909090.  It's the Samaritans.

Nearly called them myself when my modem was giving me gyp.

My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2002, 18:33 »
Hi folks.. all those red Xs I thought the pc loved me lol..anyway.

ZA is version 3.1.395 which I think is the latest.

And:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .

And:
The open procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:WINDOWSSystem32wbemwmiaprpl.dll" has taken longer than the established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.

And:
Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2800.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

This one has the heading Atapi.
And:
The device, DeviceIdeIdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

And:
The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

thats enough for now  ;D.

Hook

Ps: I think MSN/ZA is trying to protect its self against each other.

Adept

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2002, 19:01 »
Looks like you may have a problem with whatever device you have on IDE Port 1.

That may be your CD-ROM or CD-Writer drive ??? I noticed that Nero was complaining in your screen shot, so it's possibly your CD-RW. I have no idea what the problem could be, just make sure that the IDE and power connections to your IDE drives are sound.

It's possible that could be causing the problem with ZoneAlarm loading, but I would un-install and re-install ZA just in case.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2002, 19:12 »
Do you think it may be an idea to disconnect the other IDE device from the primary IDE controller Adept to see if it works ok without it?
Then if it is connect both writer and dvd rom on secondary channel.
I know copying disc to disc seems to prefer writer and CD rom to be on seperate IDE channels but if the writer or CD rom is on same channel as the boot drive it slows it down doesnt it?

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2002, 19:22 »
Now deleted ZA.. seems to be the biggest culprit out of the lot......now running outpost, must say looks more proffesional than ZA.

some times when I boot up the cd gets called dite-on..?%*... and not lite-on LTR-40125S and incd goes to A drive  >:(

You might have to get me some info If I have to start moving cables about :s..  ;D.

Anyway thanks for all the help its much appreciated.. 8)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2002, 19:40 »
You will have to tell us what you have in the way of IDE drives Hook.I assume you have just the one hard drive ( your new 40 gig one) set as the master drive on your primary IDE channel along with either your writer or dvd rom set as a slave. This should leave your other writer or dvd rom as the master on your secondary IDE channel.
This is a good setup as I understand,if you do a lot of copying from cd to cd but can slow the primary hard drive down and it would be better to have just your hard drive set as a master on the primary IDE channel and the writer and rom set as master and slave on the secondary IDE channel.
To alter the setup just disconnect whichever device is connected to the same ribbon as your hard drive.Then connect that device to the spare connection on the secondary IDE ribbon connected to the other writer/rom device.
This way your master and slave setup should still be the same,as the disconected one should have been a slave on the primaary and the other the master on the secondary.
Hope this is clearer than it sounds on first read through  ;)
Any problems get back to me  :-*

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2002, 20:06 »
Just to add to that ... Drives always have a jumper on the rear (next to where the cable plugs in) to change the Master/Slave setting .. LiteOn have them in the standard position on the left. You can just see the MAS SLV type in the metal above the jumper position.

If you need to change a device from one to the other, all you do is move the jumper to the other position. Ohh and it will have a different position on the IDE cable. Master is at the end of the cable and Slave is the middle one.

Your Primary IDE will be marked on teh mobo as either "Prim IDE", or "IDE 0" or "IDE 1" depending on your mobo ... for each of these the Secondary IDE channel will be marked "Sec IDE", or "IDE 1" or "IDE 2" respectively ... now that will be clear as mud I expect  :-

Always apply even pressure to each end of the IDE cable plug to avaid bending the pins, and I wouldn't pull the plugs out by the cable  ;)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2002, 20:14 »
If his setup is as I assumed Bat then the jumpers should be set ok as they are but its always advisable to check,better safe than sorry  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum