Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: E-Mail Problem  (Read 767 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
E-Mail Problem
« on: February 26, 2004, 07:44 »
A friend has two computers.  One has ME on it and one has XP.  The XP machine is her main PC, but she has a problem with e-mails.  She has Outlook Express and Incredimail, but neither will receive incoming mail, although they will both send OK.  She has copied the settings exactly from the ME machine, which works fine.  I know the settings are correct, as I used Remote Assistance to go into her machine and check them the other night.  She gets error messages such as "Cannot connect to server", or similar.  Anyone got any ideas?

It might be worth mentioning that she had a Trojan recently, but has scanned with various anti trojan scanners, and it appears to have been removed.  The e-mail problems have appeared since the Trojan was removed, but she's not sure if it was directly afterwards, so it's uncertain if this is connected, but as I said, the e-mail settings are definitely correct.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:E-Mail Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 12:56 »
Could it be possible that the incoming mail on the machine with XP can't get through her firewall, Simon.??
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 13:05 »
I experienced exactly the same problem a few weeks ago when my ISP changed from BTInternet to BT/Yahoo.  I had to phone them in the end as it was entirely their fault.  One thing she could try is to change her password.  I know that sounds weird but it solved the problem.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 14:49 »
Could it be possible that the incoming mail on the machine with XP can't get through her firewall, Simon.??

We did try disabling her firewall, but it didn't help, however my next suggestion was indeed going to be to remove OE and Incredimail from the firewall Programs List, and let it ask again.
I experienced exactly the same problem a few weeks ago when my ISP changed from BTInternet to BT/Yahoo.  I had to phone them in the end as it was entirely their fault.  One thing she could try is to change her password.  I know that sounds weird but it solved the problem.

I don't think it's the ISP, Clive, as she can download her e-mail on her other machine.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum