Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Laptop screen on pc?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline twiggy

Laptop screen on pc?
« on: April 27, 2004, 20:53 »
Hi all tosure where to post this maybe a mod can move it if not in rite place.

I'm currently undergonig a modding project and i want if possible to plae a laptop monitor on the actual case its self, i hope you can see what im getting at. So is there any way of attaching it to the gfx? or is there another route? i seen a project were someone built a computer in a microwave and had the screen in place of the front door. So any ideas how this was done or can be done? a link to a tutorial would be prefered but if any1 them selves has info please share.

thanks mark

Offline twiggy

Re:Laptop screen on pc?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 00:01 »
Just bumping this up incase people didn't see it.

mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 00:33 »
I dont think that we havent seen it Mark, its just that no one can think how you would connect a laptop monitor on the case  :(

Doing the thing you saw in a microwave would be relatively easy as you could build the normal pc parts inside the microwave case and use a TFT monitor as the door as that would connect to the normal power and pc monitor leads from the pc parts.
Laptops power the screen and send to it differently to how a desktop pc does it   :)

Offline twiggy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 01:12 »
ive been looking at a few moding sites and have seen a few projects using a laptop monitor but dosn't actualy explain how they did it.

Maybe im fighting a lost cause here.

Plan 2 do you no if any notherboards with the built in gfx, have a tv-out function? the board at a very very max can only be 24cm(W) and 22cm(L).

Sorry to stress everyones head over this one.

thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 01:26 »
Have a look here Mark :

http://www.globalamericaninc.com/sbc/motherboard_sbc.php

I think these are the mobos used in shuttles, no doubt there will be more available.
I just did a search for Motherboards with TV out and got pages of them   :)

Offline twiggy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 10:00 »
ok thanks for that sandra, i've had a look around and have found one from aopen which size wise is write on my limit so going to keep looking for something smaller.

Ask a question about power. Would a 150w psu be enough to power a pc? full sized motherboard, 80gb hdd, 512mb ddr, xp2400, dvd-r/rw, and various fans. would that be enough power?

thanks mark

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 11:24 »
In a word - probably not.  (OK, two words!).  You really need to be looking at an absolute minimum PSU of 300W to power a PC of today's specs.  Some would say go for a much bigger one, but if finances are a factor, I would think a 350W would give you plenty of power.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline twiggy

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 11:39 »
hello there its for a modding project and that's the only size psu that will fit into my project.

Is here anything else i could use?

thanks mark

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 12:00 »
I thought PSUs were all about the same physical size.   ???

Over to a techie, me thinks!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline twiggy

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 12:58 »
lol nope they come in many different shapes ans sizes well the older ones espically but ones im looking at are mini atx psu's which come in many shapes and sizes but the one that will fit in my project the highest W i can find is 145w. as simon said this would not power what i want to run? or has some1 else tryed it and got sucess?

thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 14:30 »
It may look a bit ugly Mark but theres no reason that you could'nt have a normal psu fastened on the outside of the case around the back is there ?
If you definately want one inside then the new shuttle type of power supplies will be rated high enough but I havent seen them for sale seperately anywhere yet  ???

Offline twiggy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 16:57 »
hi there yeah its always an opption but the idea is for it to be portable. My project is next to impossible but as they say if it wasn't it wouldn't be a mod. I will try and find sumway around the problem see what happens thanks for all your help, i will get back to you with pictures once the project starts pulling together.

thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 18:52 »
Theres a 200 watt Shuttle replacement PSU here Mark :

http://www.usereasy.com/components/enp-2320b.htm

Havent found a higher rated one yet though  :(

Some 250 watts here :

http://www.pricewatch.com/2/297/980-1.htm

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum