Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wordpad Replacement  (Read 1083 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Wordpad Replacement
« on: August 06, 2004, 00:27 »
I'm sure we all know of people who use their spare PC for nothing more than writing the occasional letter.  Unfortunately, in order to write that occasional letter, most people have to use MS Word - a component of MS Office.  However, Office is so bloated that just to install Word can put over 100MB of system files on your computer.

Microshaft Windows does provide a lightweight word processor, "Wordpad", or "Write" for those still using Windows 3.1 (Clive) ;D  but Wordpad/Write is missing some basic, but essential, features, such as spellchecker and thesaurus.  An alternative to Wordpad, that takes up just several megabytes of hard disk space can be downloaded here:

http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

I have loaded it onto the spare PC in my lad's room.  It may contain spyware, but I don't know as the computer does not access the internet so spyware etc, are not relevant.  If anyone has an old spare PC with nothing more than a 500MB hard drive that is only used for writing the odd letter and running a CD encyclopedia, GCSE revision disk etc, it might be worth looking at.

Edit:

I've just been looking on Google Groups to see if there is any mention of spyware.  It appears that it isn't spyware - at least it isn't listed on SpyWareGuide.Com.  What's more there is a replacement for Notepad (with spellcheck) plus a take anywhere version of CWordpad that fits on a floppy disk.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum