Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: NETWORK CONNECTION  (Read 767 times)

Offline rimini

• New Registration
NETWORK CONNECTION
« on: August 05, 2004, 16:30 »
I'm having a problem with my internet connection.When I try to connect to my provider.
The screen gives me a msg trying to connect with another system . I looked on my network folder. And I found on the icon where it has the computer connecting to the telephone a blue circle with a white check mark. I ask for status it reads disconnecting.  ??? Can someone help I'm desperate. I did a anti-virus check but came up with nothing :(

2ND MESSAGE
I did like you said last night. I do have adware on my computer it picked up 13 files.None had any thing to do with the rouge dialer. I willl give you some info that might help. I can't do any type of connection to the internet at all. I have a compaq millienium edition. It still has the the blue circle with check mark on.When I turn the computer on it wants to automaticaly connect to the internet. Then when it can't get through. I get a message saying another program is dialing the selected connection. I don't see any strange icons in my connection folder unless it is hidden :-\
Under the control panel I have an icon called telephony. Then I go to the telephony driver and have a section NDISWAN TAPI SERVICE PROVIDER when try to hit the configure button .Say driver donot support this. It gives me the option to remove it but it won't. When I go to systems properties under te ports(com & LPT)
-communications port (Com 1)
-ECP Printer port [lpt 1]
-Wind Libero Mobile USB Data Cable (Com 2)
I dont see port 3. Or maybe because it is an internal modem?. Like I said I can't even get out on the iinternet to look at other programs that might can help me out. I'm using an office computer right know but I'm restricted on down loading. I need help again asap. Doing on line courses for college. Thanks agains for helpful info the first time.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:NETWORK CONNECTION
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 16:42 »
Sounds like you may have been hijacked by a rogue dialler.  Is there anything other than just your normal ISP icon in the Network Connections folder?

Anyway, what I would suggest is to run some spyware removers, such as Ad Aware and Spybot, which should hopefully solve things for you.  If no success at first, try them in Safe Mode (come back to us if you need help with that), with System Restore temporarily disabled (ditto).  If that still doesn't work, run Hijack This, save the log, and copy / paste it in a post on here, and someone will look at it for you.  The links below should be helpful:-

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster
CoolWeb Shredder
Hijack This

Oh, and  

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline rimini

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 16:08 »
First of all I would like to thank Simon on the information he gave me about the rogue dialer.  :)Even though I used ad-ware and my anti-virus program.It could not solve my problems. Finally I decided to check my systems file in my C-drive. Lo and behold I found two exe files named "internet" and "explorer" with out the icon. I look into the properties of these files and the were no infomation like company name date of copyright or whatever :-* So I simply deleted those files whick are about 40Kb. And I regain control of my network connection.  ;D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 16:10 »
Well done Simon  ;)  :clap: :clap: :clap: :hatoff:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 18:32 »
Glad you got it sorted, Rimini.  :thumb:

Just a point about the forum though, you would be better off making a second post, rather than editing an old one to add further information, as edited posts don't show as 'new', and may well go unnoticed.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum