Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sounds or lack of  (Read 1632 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Sounds or lack of
« on: August 27, 2004, 13:16 »
Hi all..since I blew up my mobo and replaced it with another on Wednesday, I am having troubles using the sound system on the PC.

Before I blew the board up I had Sound blaster 5.1 digital and still have, the only way on the old mobo to get this to work was to stop the onboard sound sytem from working by going into the Device manager and disabling it..are you following  ;D

Anyway have disabled the on board sound on the new Mobo and nothing not a squeek, so have enabled everything again and am getting sound from the Mobo and not the sound blaster, hoepfully someone can put me on the right track so to speak  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Sounds or lack of
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 13:32 »
If you disable the on board sound in device manager then it will re enable it on each subsequent reboot Hooky.
You need to go into the bios and disable the onboard sound in there.
Then reinstall the drivers for your soundblaster card  :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 14:11 »
Thanks for the reply Sandra.

But if I remember on the other Mobo I didnt have to go into Bios, just disable in Device Manager anyway I tried what you suggested but nope.. didnt work either.

Also have followed the wiring diagrams to the book?

It will be one of these silly things :D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 14:16 »
Uninstall the soundblaster and any other sound devices from device manager in safe mode, shut down, remove the card and restart.
Shut down and replace the card, preferably in a slot which isnt next to the AGP one, restart and reinstall.
It may still be having a driver conflict with the onboard sound ones  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 14:31 »
One of your neighbours (Suffolk 2000) has just reminded me about known problems with the soundblaster live 5.1 cards Hooky  :)
I had forgotten I had problems when I fitted one earlier in the year for someone and he has had them too.
Do as I said before but dont let XP install its own drivers when it finds new hardware.
Install the ones from the cd or the latest ones from Creatives site  :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 17:04 »
Ok Sandra that makes sense, thank you.

I will give it a go when Im sober  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 21:39 »
I was scratching my head for ages over no sound on the last PC I built, then it turned out I had plugged the speakers into the wrong socket!  ::) ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 10:13 »
Ok.. have now done as above postings but still no go, maybe the souncard blew up at the same time as the mobo?

But have another problem now???? have reverted back to the onboard sounds.

Can play DVDs with sound.
Can watch winfast with sound.
Can use the windows sounds.
can't use the cd player..it shows its playing but no sound, have checked to make sure all tick boxe's are unticked all sliders in correct place etc etc, maybe im missing the bleeding obvious here  ::)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 12:50 »
Yep ;)

I'd hazzard a guess that the sound cable from the cd drive to the connector on the motherboard isn't connected. It would have been connected to the 5.1 card and probably not placed correctly now.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 17:51 »
Dack..the cable is on the back of the DVD rom and onto the mobo.

The stupid thing is?? it was all working yesterday until I took out the soundblaster card and reebooted then put the card back in reebooted again..couldnt get anything from the soundcard then went back to onboard sound.

Started everything up and DVD works ok. Winfast TV works ok windows sounds work ok..Ohhhh sometimes I hate computers lol

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 18:38 »
Dont ask why.. but all I did was reebooted after checking to make sure I had enabled on board sound system again after disabling and now its working again..  ???

Thanks for the input guys, now to find out why the soundblaster card doesnt work?

A very grateful Hookstar

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 20:42 »
After using PC Wizard..I think I have found out why the soundcard doesn't work (screen shot attached)AGP Card is not enabled  ;D What do the techies think?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 21:01 »
I know you asked for a techie, but as I got here first, AGP is graphics, isn't it?  Wouldn't have thought it would have affected sound, but you'll need it enabled if you're using an AGP Graphics Card.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 00:02 »
You need to show a shot of the sound information or PCI cards if it has that option Hooky.
As Simon said your AGP bus should be enabled, check your bios but that shouldnt affect your pci soundcard  ???

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 11:11 »
God either a blonde moment or I was really p**sed yesterday, all sorted now ;) thanks for the replys.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum