Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: corrupt "InstallShield Wizard"?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline maria9547

corrupt "InstallShield Wizard"?
« on: September 17, 2004, 02:03 »
Help.  I'm trying to uninstall a program from  Add/Remove in Control Panel and I get an error saying I already have the program, to use Add/Remove to uninstall.  (I'm trying!)  Then the window closes and it says "Program ending - InstallShield Wizard..." and it just hangs there.  I have to use Task Mgr to close it out. Can anyone help?  (and could you do it in regular English for us computer dummies - Thanks)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:corrupt "InstallShield Wizard"?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 02:32 »
Hi Maria,
Have you tried unistalling it in Safe Mode ?
To get into Safe Mode press the F8 key repeatedly as its rebooting.
The screen will look horrible with massive icons as it doesnt load the graphics card drivers.
Then do the same as you have been doing in normal wondows and see if it removes it.
Then restart the pc as normal  :)

Offline maria9547

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 02:34 »
Thanks, I'll try that.

Offline maria9547

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:39 »
ok, I tried.  At least in Safe Mode I got a window that asked me if I wanted to completely remove the selected application, but when I said yes.  It just closed and didn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 07:38 »
Hi Maria,

It's possible that the uninstall part of the program has been corrupted somehow.  Have you tried reinstalling it on top of itself, then uninstall it again?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline maria9547

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 17:32 »
Yep, Simon.  I tried that too.  I get a window that says I have to uninstall the program in "Add/Remove". Also, when I go to the application in "Programs", there is no un-install feature listed.  I'm stumped.

I had a problem with all kinds of ads a couple of days ago that kept popping up over & over again.  I ran Spy-Bot - nothing. So I went to the Symantec site and found out "AdDestroyer" was to blame.  I printed out the instructions & went into the registry to delete AdDestroyer.  I wonder if I hit something else that I shouldn't have.  Is there something in there that I can tweak for my "Add/Remove" or "InstallShield" to work properly.  

Man, for not knowing alot of tech stuff - I'm sure learning alot now. Sure is frustrating though.  Thanks for any help on this.

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 18:28 »
Well, I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here, but how about deleting the program folder in C:\Program Files, and also doing a Search for any other files related to the program, and delete them too.  Then try again to reinstall / uninstall.  Can I ask what you're trying to get rid of?  Sometimes the program vendor's website might have instructions to manually delete it, or even a proper removal tool.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline maria9547

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 20:55 »
ok, I'm good.  I swear I'd give my computer guy a heart attack if he knew how I was messing around with files.  Ok, first:  I was trying to remove American Greeting Card Ver 8 from my computer.   I took a chance and went to my backup....of the registry (which I didn't know I had thru my PC Powerwash program) and I added those files back in.  Well lo & behold...now my control panel works right. InstallShield seems to be working again. WHEW!   But if I come across any more problems, I'll check back in.  You guys are great & thanks for putting up with me.  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum