Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: CD Rom Drive  (Read 933 times)

Offline Biglad

CD Rom Drive
« on: February 24, 2005, 22:42 »
Hi all,

Pc has been working ok with no problems until tonight. It froze while in windows XP.

My machine is dual boot and upon restarting was promted with a message after all the drives and cd drives were found.

It is as follows.

PRI SLAVE DRIVE - ATAPI INCOMPATABLE
Press F1 to resume.

For some reason the 52 speed CD-ROM is not being found now.

Have done nothing to the inside of the machine and has been working fine with no crashes for at least the last 3 weeks.

Any ideas

Thank you.
hank you all.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
CD Rom Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 23:20 »
Just an idea, but maybe the flat ribbon connector has come loose from the CD ROM which isn't being seen?  Might also be worth checking in BIOS boot sequence that the CD ROM hasn't somehow become your primary boot drive, instead of your hard drive.  Other than that, hopefully a proper techie will be along soon to help you.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
CD Rom Drive
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 23:49 »
You say that you are dual booting your pc, which is the other OS and does it detect your drives properly on the other OS  :?:

Offline Biglad

CD Rom Drive
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 08:48 »
Thanks Sandra and Simon.

I have not looked at the cables as yet but when i was last in there they were pushed in it is always the last thing i do.

Sandra as for the OS i am running both Windows 98 and XP on the machine. The problem got a little worse last night and it would not boot in to XP just kept hanging with the XP splash screen. i went in to the BIOS and disable the SMART for the drives and no effect. I did however sneak a peak at the BIOS hardware monitor.

Should the AMD 1800 processor running at the 1500Mhz be running at a temperature of 56C ??? It seems a little to hot.

I however did notice a slight chirping sound now and again but i was not quick enough to hear where it was.

The other thing i did notice. when it powers down my keyboard num lock light stays on now.

Thank you for the assistance.
hank you all.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
CD Rom Drive
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 09:43 »
I have the same CPU as you, Biglad, and mine is currently running at 44°C.  Obviously yours is a little higher, but I don't think it's reaching a critical level just yet.  However, the 'chirping' sound could be either your heatsink fan, or your case fan starting to show signs of wear, and if either, particularly your heatsink fan, are not running efficiently, that may explain why your CPU is slightly on the warm side.

That's just a suggestion - sorry, can't help with the rest, but just a question - when you were having trouble booting into XP, did Win98 start OK?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
CD Rom Drive
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 12:44 »
Does it detect the the drives properly if you boot into the 98 OS  :?:

Offline Biglad

CD Rom Drive
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 13:51 »
Hi Sandra / Simon.

I will have a look at the fans see what they are up to.

As for Win98 it cannot see the drive.

After looking at the pc earlier it is not appearing with the ATAPI error at present. And is all being seen by both OS.

I have however seen an article about putting a CD-ROM and a HD on the same channel at present i have 2 HD's and 2 CD-Roms. At present each HD is a master on the 2 channels and boths CD's are slaves on each channel.

It has been suggested i put the HD's on 1` channel and the CD's on the other channel.

Cheers for your help
hank you all.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
CD Rom Drive
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 14:09 »
I must admit that I tend to put my hard drives on the primary IDE channel as master and slave, even with dual booting, as long as each OS is on its own partition but preferably on a different physical drive.
I then put my cd and dvd drives on the secondary IDE channel as master and slave.
Some people advocate doing them the way that you have yours set up if you do a lot of copying cds/dvds on the fly as its supposed to be more efficient that way as youre not sending data up and down the same IDE cable but I am not 100% sure whether its noticeabley any better one way or the other.

If its not seeing the drive in either OS then it would seem more likely to be a hardware problem than a software one unless the bios wasnt set to auto detect the drives and the cd rom was set incorrectly.
Although I am wondering if the MBR could somehow have become corrupted as that is the only software part that would affect both OSs  :?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum