Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pc freezes when idle  (Read 2259 times)

Offline sally77

pc freezes when idle
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 19:29 »
right, here we go, the motherboard is a P4M266 - 8235, the video card is NVDIA GeForce4MX 4000, and as for the power supply unit, without opening up my pc to have a look at it, i couldnt tell you. I will take a look at that....

thanks lona, but cant see anything in there that i dont recognise? i dont think so anyway....   :?

Offline Gunnery

• http://www.cs.jolt.co.uk
pc freezes when idle
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 21:57 »
might be worth taking the side off the case and making sure the CPU (Processor) fan is doing its job, if this fails it'll cause the CPU to overheat and will crash/halt windows.
url=www.cs.jolt.co.uk]Jolt CS Website (CS News & Info)[/url]
Jolt CS IRC Room (Quakenet)

Offline sam

• Administrator
pc freezes when idle
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 22:00 »
it could just be that it is all too hot... by taking the side of the case off even if the cpu fan is working it should cool the internal temperature down. when you built the machine did you put any case fans in?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sally77

pc freezes when idle
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 22:07 »
yes, checked cpu fan, was one of first things i was advised to check, as cpu temperature was running up to about 47 degrees at times, cpu fan is definitely working. was then advised by pc shop that my cpu could safely run up to a lot higher temperature than this, so therefore i didnt need new fan? (good/bad advice i'm yet to find out!).

As for case fan, yes, i did install one, and that is working perfectly at moment, internal case temperature is normally around  27 degrees roughly....

Offline sam

• Administrator
pc freezes when idle
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 22:16 »
u can go hotter without a problem.

sounds fine!! ummm what type of hard drives? have you downloaded all the windows updates?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sally77

pc freezes when idle
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 22:30 »
hard drive is an 80gb, with one partition, and yes, i've downloaded all updates, and checked all drivers are up to date too....

Offline sally77

pc freezes when idle
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 22:33 »
model of hardrive is hitachi HDS722580VLAT20......

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
pc freezes when idle
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 00:09 »
If all your hardware seems to be OK, then it could point to misbehaving software.  Just a thought, but have you tried running it in Safe Mode, to see if it still freezes?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sally77

pc freezes when idle
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 20:55 »
no i haven't, purely because its happens so irregularly, that it would mean starting up my pc in safe mode all the time in order to wait for it to happen? but i can try doing that for a while to see if anything does happen.... other than that, i think i'm stuffed!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
pc freezes when idle
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 21:30 »
Well, you may only need to do it the once, and leave it a few hours or over night, to see if it still freezes.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sally77

pc freezes when idle
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 21:45 »
ok i will give it a go....

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum