Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Vista available as OEM  (Read 960 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Vista available as OEM
« on: January 24, 2007, 21:41 »
Vista Business will cost £290, while the Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate editions will cost £180, £220 and £370 respectively. Prices for downloads have not yet been announced.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Having reached for the defibrilator on reading those prices, it seems that if anyone is interested in Vista, most versions can be obtained (OEM) at much more realistic prices from Ebuyer.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re: Vista available as OEM
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 21:50 »
wow thats a bit different isn't it Simon  ;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 23:14 »
Yes, I'm almost half tempted myself, but it's the incompatibility with other software that is dissuading.  I think I'll wait until such time as I upgrade my PC.  If it ain't broke...

OEM versions come with no retail packaging, and are strictly only intended for use by system builders.  Indeed, I believe that part of the deal is that the purchaser of the OEM software is obliged to offer support to the end user, but if purchasing for yourself, this obviously wouldn't be an issue, and there seems to be no stipulation on Ebuyer as to who can purchase the items.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 00:46 »
If I was going to buy Vista I would wait until there is more software available that runs on 64 bit and then buy the 64 bit version of either home premium or ultimate.

I think that will be when you see any real improvement over XP 32 bit, but whether that will be much better than XP 64 bit I am unsure about.

I do like the 3D effect that you get with Aero and the Flip thing on Vista.

Its strange that they are selling them as 32 or 64 bit as I thought that the DVDs had all versions on them and you could try each one and then buy the serial for the version you wanted to use after the trial had expired ?

My RTM (Release To Manufacturer) DVD has all the versions in both 32 and 64 bit apart from Basic which only comes as 32 bit.  :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 09:35 »
Its strange that they are selling them as 32 or 64 bit as I thought that the DVDs had all versions on them and you could try each one and then buy the serial for the version you wanted to use after the trial had expired ?

My RTM (Release To Manufacturer) DVD has all the versions in both 32 and 64 bit apart from Basic which only comes as 32 bit.  :dunno:

Yes, it's very strange that Micro$soft want us to purchase each version individually, rather than supplying them all on the same disc.  Anyone would think they are trying to screw money out of us!  ::)  ;)

I would imagine your RTM disc was specifically made for manufacturer's purposes, San, and would have cost a small fortune had you purchased it retail.  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:50 »

I would imagine your RTM disc was specifically made for manufacturer's purposes, San, and would have cost a small fortune had you purchased it retail.  :)

It did  :o:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 17:43 »
Indeed, a very small fortune I would imagine!  ;) 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum