Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Shortcut to Run command?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Shortcut to Run command?
« on: May 08, 2007, 19:09 »
Is it possible to create a shortcut to a Run command?  For example, if I wanted to access MSCONFIG, or any other Run command on a regular basis, can I create a shortcut for this on my desktop?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Shortcut to Run command?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 20:02 »
If you use the run commands regularly then they should be available to select from the drop down menu in the Run Box.

Mine shows CMD, MSCONFIG and REGEDIT plus a couple of others at the moment when I click on the drop down bit.

A quick way of opening the Run box is to use the Windows key + R simultaneously.

Does that do what you want Simon ?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 21:19 »
Hi, Simon.

If you do a search, find out where the MSConfig application is hiding and right-click the icon and create a shortcut, you can then put it on the desktop.  I'm not sure which folder the MSConfig icon lives, but if you want to put, for example, Regedit on the desktop, it lives in C:\Windows.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 21:22 »
Sandra, it probably would do, except that when I run CCleaner, or a similar crap cleaning tool, it clears the Run commands list, so they disappear!  That's why I wanted something more permanent.  It's to do with F-Secure.  Sometimes it throws a wobbler when Mail Washer starts, and locks down the connection for a few seconds, then produces an error.  The F-Secure guys said to run 'net start fsdfwd', which defibrillates the firewall and clears the error.

Dave, thanks for that - MSCONFIG lives in System Tools, but it's not actually that one I want (see above).  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 00:27 »
Untick the part of Ccleaner etc that removes the run command in the cookies part, it should be easy enough to identify I would think.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 08:01 »
Yes, that's an idea.  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum