Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Firefox 2  (Read 1048 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Firefox 2
« on: July 03, 2007, 18:46 »
One for Simon maybe  ;D I'm running firefox 1.5.0.12 quite happily at the moment but i keep getting invitations to upgrade to the 2.0.0.4 version.  Does anyone run this and can they give any opinions, i know there's supposed to be an anti phishing tool in it but i'm a bit cautious about changing things that already work.  :o:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Firefox 2
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 19:56 »
i use it. At first I found it annoying but that must have been some odity in the older version of it. Overall I feel it is much an improvement over the older version (but it does clog up more memory and processor power) - but its not really that different -worth upgrading for the security features alone.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 20:08 »
As Sam said, it's worth updating for the extra security features.  You can turn off the phishing warnings, but I have it on, and to be honest, I've never seen one.  It's not that much different operationally, so you'll soon get used to it, but one thing worth mentioning is that some of the add-ons for 1.5 won't be compatible, so will also need updating.  As 2.0 has been out a while now, most of the add-ons should update automatically, so not a big deal.  I don't really think there's any reason not to upgrade, Dave.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 20:47 »
So it's two recommendations then . That's good enough for me,  Ta chaps :thumbs:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 00:49 »
I'm probably too late to make any difference, but for the record I'm another satisfied customer who uses v2.0.0.4.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:01 »
No not too late Gill  ;D  As i'm really busy with other things i'll wait until i get nagged again to update to ver 2.0

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 18:45 »
Hi, Dave.

If (or when) you do update, just make sure if you have the NoScript addon/extension installed that you get rid of it.  I have had nothing but trouble since upgrading from the wonderful Firefox 1.5 to the 2.x version(s) and had actually reverted to using Opera, I was so fed up of Firefox crashing more often that a Kazakh passenger plane.  Yesterday, I accidentally opened Firefox instead of Opera to enter the Friends Reunited site and couldn't get past the login page because NoScript was telling the site that I had disabled javascript.  Now, as some people here know, I detest any sort of security software, so (in a fit of temper) I uninstalled NoScript rather than just allowing Friends Reunited.  Since getting rid of this piece of crap, not only has Firefox stopped crashing, but surfing the net has become something of a pleasure again, having previously become tedious with me having to constantly allow every site (and link in a site) before I could get to where I wanted to.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 22:22 »
I honestly can't see what the fuss is about scripts anyway.  Most websites use some form of scripts, and most are perfectly harmless.  As I have said before, surfing the web is generally quite safe, unless you go about looking for trouble, and a decent firewall and anti virus with spyware protection is all most users need.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 10:35 »
Thanks for the heads up there Dave, coincidentally i read a post somewhere (on another site i think  :blush:) extolling the virtues of the no script plugin. Thankfully i hadn't got around to getting it due to my usual inertia on these things  :o:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum