Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: music players  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
music players
« on: December 20, 2007, 18:58 »
ok  this may be a daft question but who uses Winamp as their player?

Yeah we've probably all tried it as I have in the past but recently decided to look at it again after it been years since I used it.  Thing that got me to post here was while checking the features for the standard version I read this bit Burn your favorite music compilations to Audio CD (limited to 2x speed for free users)  and this bit (Ripping limited to ~6x speeds for free users. MP3 encoding is only available in Winamp Pro)

mainly the speed bit. it seems a bit odd to me. I know they are just trying to tempt you to upgrade to the pro version but how many people would use it with those slow speeds.

anyway those who do use it whats it like now. same/better/worse.  I am quite happy with windoze media player. yeah its been crap in the past but I think the version 11 is quite good, for what I need anyhow.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: music players
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 21:32 »
i love winamp and have used it since the first version though saying that I'm not sure about this latest version, it seems to take up more memory than necessary. I also have to say I don't and never have used it for ripping cds...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 22:58 »
I tend to use Real Alternative for all my media files, although it seems to have trouble handling some DivX videos so I use Winamp for those.  I don't use Winamp for anything else.

When burning music files, I tend to use Nero.  Sorry, I know it's not a lot of help in answering the OP but the point I'm making is that there's plenty of alternative, free software around.  Audacity springs to mind.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 23:16 »
for ripping I generally just use iTunes these days.

for burning, CDBurnerXP Pro 3 (a free program)

and for all other media types (apart from music) I use VideoLan Client (VLC) (or, if I'm lazy media player)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 17:53 »
thanks guys will look at those although I have tried Real Alternative before and it seemed ok. Was just really wanting to know what winamp is like now in general.
 Sam, I noticed there is a version 4 of the CDBurnerXP Pro that you mentioned. You got it?

at the moment I use Nero as a lot of people do but have started using Ashampoo Burning Studio 2008 which was a free offer I saw recently in Computeractive magazine. Its quite good once you start using it regular, very easy to use. So nero might be getting the boot ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 18:08 »
nope I haven't tried the latest version of that, might have to give it a download but then again it has everything I need in it at the mo - plus I generally use linux these days todo things like that.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum