Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Patch Tuesday paralyses Internet Explorer  (Read 552 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Patch Tuesday paralyses Internet Explorer
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:58 »

Last week's critical security update to Internet Explorer has crippled the browser for many users.

The problem is reportedly affecting Internet Explorer 6 users on Windows XP. The fault causes the browser to crash in a number of different scenarios, such as when printing web pages.

Microsoft's support forums received dozens of complaints soon after the patch was released. "Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close' dialog, " reports one affected user on the Microsoft Windows Update forum.

In a message posted on Microsoft's Security Response Center website, the company admits it has a problem. "We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (942615), released earlier this month," it reads.

"We have been working with a small number of customers that reported issues related to the installation of MS07-069. Specifically, on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, Internet Explorer 6 may stop responding when you try to a visit a website."

In response, Microsoft has issued a Knowledge Base article that offers various fixes for the eight issues reported.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Patch Tuesday paralyses Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:11 »
Nice to know the testing was thorough, eh...  :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 00:17 »
Anything that cripples IE has got to be good!   :devil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:32 »
"Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close' dialog, " reports one affected user on the Microsoft Windows Update forum.

I would get that almost every time I used IE.  >:(

When ever someone sent me a link it would open in IE, Michael fix that so all links open in FF.  ;D
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum