Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: David Bowie dies at 69  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
David Bowie dies at 69
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:51 »
Music icon David Bowie has died at the age of 69 from cancer.

His son, film director Duncan Jones, confirmed the news and a statement was issued on his social media accounts. "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer," it said. "While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief."

David Bowie was one of the most influential musicians of his time, constantly re-inventing his persona and sound, from the 1960s hippy of Space Oddity, through Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke to his later incarnation as a soulful rocker. Where before, artists and groups either evolved their musical style and appearance or remained unchanging, David Bowie seemed to be in permanent revolution. He defied any label. Music, fashion, sexuality: all were Bowie's playthings. He was truly an artistic chameleon. After a decade without a studio album he released The Next Day in 2013, surprising fans who thought he had retired. It became his first UK number one for 20 years. His latest album, the critically acclaimed Blackstar, was released on his 69th birthday, just days before his death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35278872
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: David Bowie dies at 69
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 18:43 »
I'm a bit bemused that most of the 6 pm news was devoted to the death of a pop singer.  I'm not saying I didn't like Bowie but I was never a fan.  His best song was Dancing in the Street with Mick Jagger. 

:rip:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 19:17 »
He wasn't just a pop singer, though.  He crossed into many genres and was widely influential in his fields.  I wasn't a fan of all of his stuff, but have a few of his CDs, mostly of his 70s material.  His is probably the 'biggest' music death since Freddie Mercury. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 20:50 »
I don't remember Freddie getting such wall to wall coverage! 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 21:22 »
In those days, perhaps there wasn't quite such wall to wall coverage, but I certainly remember Queen being played on the radio for the whole day.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 21:29 »
:rip:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum