Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ram or lack of  (Read 3006 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Ram or lack of
« on: June 14, 2003, 12:34 »
Well after doing some spring cleaning and bench marking the pc though Aida32 I noticed that the 512 memory was running at 54%..is this normal.

Have added a picture to show. ;D

Hookstar

Adept

Re:Ram or lack of
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 14:47 »
Thats pretty good actually Hook :)

It just means that with all the programs that you had running at the time, including any system tray programs, operating system processes etc., only half of your physical memory is being used.

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 22:25 »
Yeah that is good  :) Mine has about 100Mb free usually outta 256 though I'm upgrading from PC133 to 512Mb PC2700 so that should improve it quite a bit, anyone know how much?
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 22:33 »
Ok thanks Adept.. just thought it would have been higher thats all  ;D but as thats good I will leave well alone now then.

Cheers.. have another on me

Adept

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 22:35 »
Thanks muchly ;)

I ssshurely sssshall, hic :D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 17:40 »
Hi there,

right still toying with my mates bag o sh......PC,I would like to offer him choices, New PC or cheapest upgrade which would be a memory upgrade.

Now as you can see below [Belarc info] it says this PC has 32MB in slot 0 but only 28MB installed, is that normal or is it a dicky memory module?

Also, have Dimm SDRAM memory upgrades to be installed equally in slots 0 and 1, as I cannot remember and looking on the net using this PC takes forever  ;D

Oh and a search of system info using 'Fresh Diognose' software under the heading Memory Controller indicates each slot will take a maximum of 512MB of memory, and supported speeds are 70ns,  60ns  

When it is booted up the 'Freemem graph' shows no free memory avaliable [ always using hard drive memory ] So which memory would you recommend installing [in total] select from the link  HERE As this is the Memory upgrade suggested in conjunction with the Belarc Advisor linked to the 'Crucial Memory' site [He will most likely be buying from Novatech]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions [of the technical variaty that is ]  ;)

Operating System   System Model
Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)   iPatriot Model: 740977  
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
233 megahertz Cyrix MII
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache   Board: EliteGroup Computer System Co., Ltd. P5SS-ME 1.1A
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 04/30/99
Drives   Memory Modules c,d - Buy More
3.19 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1.88 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LEOPTICS CD-ROM 24X
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (3.19 GB) -- drive 0   28 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 32 MB
Slot '1' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 3.19 GB 1.88 GB free

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 17:48 »
Hi Tony  :-*

I assume it has onboard graphics ?

If so this will be using 4mbs of the ram leaving 28mbs available for the rest of the PCs operation  :o

So along with a memory upgrade a slight improvement(only 4mbs so not really worth bothering about)could be achieved by fitting a graphics card which would have its own memory on it  :-*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 17:50 »
Hey Tony,dont go modifying your post while I am replying to your original one in future please  :P

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 17:58 »
It's more fun that way Sandra.  We don't want to make things too easy for you do we?  :heehee:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 18:10 »
According to the info from your own reading and the one from Crucial(are you in the USA at the moment Tony?I thought youd gone to Scotland  ::) You could check for UK prices on crucial.co.uk you know  ::) )it only supports 66 and 100 bus speeds so although 133 is supposed to be backwards compatable I would stick with one of those 2(unless you buy it from crucial as they guarantee it to work if its one that they say will).
I had problems using generic memory of 133 in 3 PCs with 100 boards and 1 wouldnt work at all and the other 2 read at half size  :(
If you buy from crucial any speed will work from their recommended bit,this may be better as a 133 may be cheaper now than a 66 or a 100,also if you did get a 133 and you upgrade in the near furure the chances are that you would have a board that supports 133 SDRAM (unless you jump up to one taking DDR)
Your supplied info says its a 66 bus speed but I doubt that you can still get 66 SDRAM easily.
The nano sec,(60 or 70),is the CL of the ram and isnt a significant factor in this PCs case CL2 or CL3 will be fine.
SDRAM can work by itself or in any combinations and doesnt need to be matched pairs like the old SIMMS.
If a board has a 133 bus speed and you use a combination of 133 and 100 SDRAM,all the ram will run at 100.
If you only use one stick it needs to be in slot 0,so if you just get another stick you can move the 32mbs to slot 1 and use the new stick in slot 0.

I think that covers it unless you have modified your post again  :-*

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 22:54 »
@Tony
MY advice is to scrap the thing and buy a decent PC, the 233 megahertz Cyrix MII is only equal to an Intel 486 processor and it only has a bus speed of 66Mhz. you can pick up a decent PC for a £100 any where (see Sandra for more info she is good at second-hand stuff)

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 23:06 »
I think hes off in the wilds of Scotland at the moment Brian,so it may not be practical to get one from "Our source"  ;)

Maybe when he gets back home it would be worth a trip over here as hes not far from us ( hes a bit odd though,he used to live in Worsthorne  ::) )   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 23:34 »

Hey Tony,dont go modifying your post while I am replying to your original one in future please  :P

Sorry Sandra it's this sh*tty PC it so slow, I most probubly modified and pressed save before you even read the original post  ;D Now if it was an orgasmic machine it would be fine unfortunately it's a PC  ;D

Anyway thanks for the info greatly appreciated, as you know we men are basically lazy ::)

Hey I got near Scotland today I could see it across the Solway Firth.We ended up at Silloth-on-Solway, never been that far up that coast before. Now how can I describe Silloth-on-Solway, look if your ever depressed, but not enough that would warrant visiting the doctors. Then visiting Silloth would make a doctors visit inevitable. ;D

Lobo, that was my advice to him, it's a joke, plus I now where he can get some right bargins on software and OS systems.  ;D But he's from Yorkshire you know  :o

hes a bit odd though,he used to live in Worsthorne well I p*ssed my self laughing when I read that Sandra. I never lived in Worsthorne, it was Pike Hill, but I do know some one who moved to Worsthorne and he has certainly turned out very odd  ;)    
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 23:44 »

Then visiting Silloth would make a doctors visit inevitable. ;D

I have flown up to Silloth a few times Tony,(they used to do parachuting onto the,maily disused,airfield there and flew from the club I belonged to at Blackpool airport).

The only time I have been on the ground there was when I foolishly went up with some guys who were testing their racing  motorbikes and a racing "kneeler" sidecar outfit.
The guy on the sidecar told me to get on and hed give me the ride of my life  :o
I declined at first as I said I wasnt hanging over the side scraping my bum on the ground to stop it tipping up on a left hand corner.
He promised it would be straight up the runway and a right hand turn and straight back.
Never trust a man  ::)
We got to the far end and he shouted "going left and if you dont hang out we will be off"  :o
As we were doing approximately 120 mph at this point I decided a scraped bum was the better alternative to bouncing along the tarmac  :o

Overall it was a good day out though but we never really saw the town/village  :)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 23:50 »
"I never lived in Worsthorne, it was Pike Hill,"

Bloody hell Tony we were nearly neighbours, I live in Burnleywood about half a mile away

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum