Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD Writer  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Big_Boss

DVD Writer
« on: June 20, 2003, 17:10 »
Hi

I was thinking about buying this one

Can you tell me if it seems ok and if it will do the job of backing up data and DVDs :)

Also does the + and - format really matter. I mean will it affect the ability of the backedup DVDs to play on a stand-alone player or backed-up data to play on another DVD Drive.

Thanks in advance.

Boss

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:DVD Writer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 17:51 »
Hi BB,Asus have a good reputation for motherboards so I would assume that their writers would be ok but I have never heard of anyone having even a CD Writer by them.

I assume you would be backing data up onto a CD so that would be fine (does anyone have 4.7 gig of data on one DVD  ??? )

Daveeb was going for a DVD + as he said it plays back on most stuff (see this thread) :

http://pc-pals.com/index.php?board=28;action=display;threadid=4065

That ASUS one is DVD -

I think if I was going for one I would be going for the multiple format ones that are about now so as not to be stuck with an unuseable one in a year or two.
Having said that a different format may be out by then anyway and we will all be saving up for the format that stores 100 gig on something the size of a 10p piece  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 17:57 »
To echo what Sandra said, you can get a multi-format one for around the same price.  Here's an example, Dave.

I think the -RW will also play back on most machines, but it's better to have one that does it all, I would think.  Of course, you also have to have a machine capable of playing DVD-RW's of either flavour.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 18:03 »
I hope that you declare the comission that you get from Novatech and Redstone to the taxman Simon,I would hate to see them get you locked up for a long time,like they did with Al Capone  ;)

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 19:08 »
Thanks for all the advice  :)

I think i might actually go for the one Simon recommended as, as you say it has support for all the formats and is the same price and speed of the ASUS one 8)

You should be a rep for Redstore and Novatech Simon  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 19:19 »
;D ;D  It's just that they are usually among the cheapest online retailers, and I happen to have dealt with them in the past.  I wouldn't wish to recommend a company I'd had no dealings with.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 19:58 »
Well in the end i went for the NEC DVD writer that Simon recommended. It came today along with my new case, and i managed to fit the drive and change everything over from my old case into the new one and the computer booted first time!  ;D :o

Still havent got any discs yet so i dont know if it works  ::)

I think Redstore could do with a website makeover, it isnt the nicest of sites or "naviagatable" (aint a word but hey  ;D). Very good delivery time too but thats because it had nothing whatsoever to do with Royal Snail  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 22:16 »
Hope it all works OK, BB.    :D :D

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 22:37 »
Well cant test it just yet, im going away and wont be back till Saturday but the discs are ordered and ill test it when i return  :o

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 15:36 »
+R and -R should work on 80% of dvd players so you shouldnt have a problem.   ;)

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 15:21 »
Thanks for the info. I havent tried to back up a DVD yet but i will soon. I will have to check it on my PS2 because i havent got a DVD player.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum