Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Random Crashes  (Read 1076 times)

Offline phil_roth

• New Registration
Random Crashes
« on: September 04, 2003, 21:58 »
Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right forum for this query, i'm new to pc-pals.
I built my computer myself over a year ago now, and it has been 100% stable until the last month or two when the problem started. It has started locking-up randomly, sometimes it will just freeze on a game i'm playing or on the windows desktop, and sometimes it will just reset itself. There are no error messages at all, just instant crash. When it freezes even ctrl alt del does not work, it requires a complete power off to start the computer again.

I have tried so many things to try and diagnose this problem, including trying a different graphics card, hard drive, re-install windows, memory checkers, different combinations of memory, extra ventilation for my computer by sitting a fan right next to the computer with the case open. The most irratating thing is the fact that sometimes it can run for hours without problems, then sometimes i can suffer about 10 crashes in 10 minutes. The time when crashes occur most is the first 10-15 minutes of the computer being on, after its been off for a few hours. HELP! Any suggestions/possible reasons for crashes are welcome please.

I'm using windows XP, amd athlon 1800+, 384 mb ram, nvidea geforce 4 mx 440, 55 gig hard drive.

phil.

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Random Crashes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 22:04 »
Hi Phil and  :welcome:  One of our techies is probably working on your question as we speak.

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 22:08 »
@phil_roth

XP has a default setting which reboots the PC if it encounters a problem. Change this to start with
Right click on My Computer, select System Properties, select Advanced and click on Start and Recovery/settings.  Untick the box Automatically restart after system failure then reboot

Broan ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Adept

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 22:10 »
Hi Phil :welcome:

I know you've probably tried this, but fully removing every component from the motherboard and replacing them can sometimes help with this kind of fault. Before you return the PCI/AGP card and memory chips to their sockets it sometimes helps to clean the contacts with a plastic eraser, carefully removing any plastic debris with a soft brush. A thorough vacuuming of the motherboard to remove any dust particles that may be partially shorting out the circuits can help too.

You seem to be confident that it is a hardware fault (as would I be). Have you tried doing a fresh re-install of XP though?

Offline phil_roth

• New Registration
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 01:05 »
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt responses for my problem. I have tried a completely fresh xp installation on another hard drive i have as a spare (8 gig), but the same problem occured, it even locked up once half way through the windows installation, at which the computer was in danger of being sent through the window. I have unticked the "restart windows if a system error occurs" box, and I will get my vacuum cleaner out and give the motherboard a once over, will let you know how I get on, thanks for the help.

P.S The computer has been on now for quite a few hours without any problems at all, but I can guarentee when I turn the thing on tomorrow morning I will experience 10-20 mins worth of crashes - which is the frustrating thing, I've never heard of or experienced a computer that needs to be "warmed up" before it becomes reasonably stable!

Thanks again

Phil

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 01:13 »
Hi Phil be careful that the nozzle on the hose doesnt get too close to anything as I read recently that you can get a build up of static electricity on the end that can discharge itself through your motherboard.
They recommended using a hairdrier to blow stuff and have the vacuum cleaner a little away from the pc to catch anything that the hairdrier disturbed.
I would have thought that static would build up on the end of a hairdrier too but they seemed to think it was ok to do it that way.
The safest way is probably to use a can of compressed air  :)

Adept

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 07:44 »

Hi Phil be careful that the nozzle on the hose doesnt get too close to anything as I read recently that you can get a build up of static electricity on the end that can discharge itself through your motherboard.

It's never happened to me in ten years or more of fixing PCs Sandra :o  I forgot to mention that a soft brush (a small paintbrush perhaps) is useful for lifting the dust our of crevices on the mobo so that the vacuum can pick it up.

The trouble with a can of comressed air is it send the dust flying everywhere, so you have to use it outside! ;D ;D

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2003, 13:08 »
Nothing wrong with a can of air mate, best bit of kit I have  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum