Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sound stutter, CPU related?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline RGraves

Sound stutter, CPU related?
« on: September 10, 2003, 01:35 »
Good evening, everyone.  =)

OK.  I'm back on my good(?) old(definitely) 733mhz P3 system.  =)  This problem has been going on for awhile now, I've been poking around all over the place to get the solution... and I finally got tired of it happening.  =P

Anyway.  I'm running Windows XP Professional, in case that might help.

Whenever I start up a media file of almost any type, it will stutter, only for a second at a time, but it will happen alot before it just stops.  Something like stutter, playback, stutter, playback, stutter, playback, works fine.  usually takes about 30 seconds to a minute before it will stop stuttering.  However, I found that those values can change.  It seems to be related to CPU activity.

I will open up the Task Manager and look at the processes tab.  Sort by CPU usage to take a look at what program is clogging it all up.  But invariably, there is usually a good 70% still in System Idle Processes!  Now, I'm unsure what exactly these are, whether they be processes that only happen using the systems idle CPU abilities or whether that be a measure or how much free CPU capability I have, I am unsure.  Anyway, it will almost always have the majority of the CPU taking it, and Windows Media Player only has around 17%.

I remember when I could start music and it woudl seamlessly blend into the workings on my computer.  Now it seems that everything I do gives it reason to stutter!  But nothings changed.  =/  I am thinking something is wrong with the way my system is prioritizing its processes... but I dont know how to fix that even if it is.  *sighs*

Thanks for your help in advance, everyone.

-Robert

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Sound stutter, CPU related?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 01:50 »
Is it just with windows media player Robert ?
Have you got any other players like Winamp that you could try to see if its got the same fault ?
Have you got the latest updates for windows media player ?

Offline RGraves

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 02:46 »
Quicktime does it as well.  And as far as I know, I have all updates for windows and windows media player.  (WMP9)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 03:29 »
Have you recently updated Direct X or is there a newer update for that available ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 07:54 »
Have you tried updating your sound card drivers, Robert?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 10:03 »
What soundcard and motherboard are you using? There are certain issues with compatability between the two on certain combinations.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline RGraves

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 01:49 »
Sorry for the really late reply all.  I've been tinkering with my system and actually the problem is fixed now....  I honestly couldnt say exactly what I did, since I was trying to fight a virus at the time.  ^^;;;  I restored Windows to a restore point and checked the sound.  It was still stuttering, well, I ended up running windows XP through an installation overtop of my current installation since i had had to delete a couple system files to completely rid my hair of a blaster worm variant.  when i got back on, the sound worked perfectly.  I also found that alot of the windows updates were no longer isntalled, so I think that that might have been it.

Thanks for your support, everyone.  =)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum