Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New Hard Drive  (Read 1137 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
New Hard Drive
« on: November 24, 2003, 17:16 »
Ok..New hard drive arrived today under warranty from Maxtor,how easy is it to ghost the old Hard drive to the new one.

The old hard drive has bad sectors on it, am running on it now, but I dont want to go through the hassle of down loading all the updates again being a 56ker and losing anything that I have forgot to back up?

Hookstar

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:New Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 18:00 »
I have never done it myself but Tony has and seemed to fine it qute easy from what he said on an earlier post.
I will see if I can find it as I think he went into some detail about how he did it  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 18:03 »
Didn't Tony use Norton Ghost?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 18:10 »
No it was a different one, cant remember which but it works the same way  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 19:43 »
Looks like it was Norton Ghost, I thought he used a different one.
Anyway the thread is here, if you can make any sense of it Hooky  :)

http://pc-pals.com/index.php?board=28;action=display;threadid=5254;start=0

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 23:24 »
No I used PowerQuest "Drive Image"  You copy and image of C:Drive, but you cannot store that image on the drive you are imaging. I stored it on another partition [that's where PowerQuest "Partition Magic" comes in handy] Then pop you new drive in and copy that image over to it.

My C:Drive is only using 4GB [I run lean] so it takes about 17 mins to copy the image and a about 5 mins to put it on the new drive.

Actually I keep an "original" clean image, plus I then  make an image every month, but keeping the monthly image prior to the latest image. So I always have three images of C:Drive saved on my "Backup Partition"  You see I always have a spare HDD in my PC, with an active partition with my latest Image of C:drive on it, in case C:Drive has a mechanical failure, plus I have my "backup" partition on that drive were I store the images  

Why ? becaude HDD failure is a pain in the arse, and so is having to clean install every thing manually. You can do it to CD's Hooky, but I aint tried that way, on a big usage C: Drive it would eat CD's I reckon.

Just make a partition on you existing drive, or on the new one, for storing images, well worth it mate. My 4GB in use C:Drive takes up 1.53GB as an image file [my backup partition is 8.5GB of a 40 GB HDD.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 23:36 »
So, technically, if you had a DVD Writer, as Hook does, you, Tony, could back up your entire 'C' drive onto one 4.7Gb DVD.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 16:49 »

So, technically, if you had a DVD Writer, as Hook does, you, Tony, could back up your entire 'C' drive onto one 4.7Gb DVD.

Oh sod off you sw**ker, jus cos you and Hooky have got em, bloody poseing Southeners.....mutter...mutter.....  ;)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 17:24 »

Oh sod off you sw**ker, jus cos you and Hooky have got em, bloody poseing Southeners.....mutter...mutter.....  ;)

Hey Tony... please dont put me in the same boat as that southerner  ;D..I'm from the East  :P.

Anyway, went to my local PC shop here in the "EAST" and all I wanted to do was borrow his ghost ware, the nice chap said If you bring the PC in I will do it for a Ģiver.. Bargain I thought, stipped out lunch time went back after work gave the nice chap from the PC shop in the "EAST" a Ģiver and here I am ..nice new hard drive here in the "EAST"

Hookstar in the "EAST"

PS dont tell GSS or he will be following the Star  ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 23:54 »
:lol:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum