Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Powerful Flaw Found in IE  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Powerful Flaw Found in IE
« on: December 10, 2003, 22:22 »
Powerful Flaw Found in IE[/u]

Hole could allow scammers to hide the true address of Web pages.

Stacy Cowley, IDG News Service
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

A newly discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser could be a powerful new tool for scammers, allowing them to convincingly mask the real origin of Web pages used to trick targets into revealing sensitive information.

Attackers could use a specially crafted URL to display a different domain name in the address bar than the Web page's actual location. This practice is known as "spoofing."

Spoofing is a favorite tactic of spammers hoping to con users out of passwords and other personal details with e-mails pretending to be from banks, e-commerce sites, software vendors, and other trusted institutions.

Security Loophole

The new security hole was first publicized earlier this in a posting to BugTraq, a mailing list for discussion of security vulnerabilities. The post's author set up an illustration of the bug.

Denmark-based security services firm Secunia issued its own advisory on the loophole this week, rating it a "moderately critical" threat.

The vulnerability afflicts several versions of Internet Explorer, including a fully patched edition of the software's latest release. Several other popular browsers, including Mozilla and Opera, are not affected and correctly display the actual location of sites taking advantage of the URL hack.

Microsoft says it is investigating reports of the vulnerability. When that inquiry is complete, the company will take whatever steps it deems necessary, such as issuing a new patch, a spokesperson says.

Seeking Help

Standard PC-protection practices like antivirus software and firewalls may not help in thwarting exploitation of the new Internet Explorer bug, since it relies on social engineering rather than a technical attack. Secunia's advisory recommends that users avoid following links from untrusted sources. Firewalls with URL-filtering capabilities may also defeat the vulnerability, the firm says.

Microsoft says it has not received any reports of the glitch being actively exploited, and objected to the bug's disclosure on the BugTraq mailing list before it had been notified.

"We continue to encourage the responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities. We believe the commonly accepted practice of reporting vulnerabilities directly to a vendor serves everyone's best interests," a spokesperson says in a written statement.

The author of the BugTraq posting detailing the vulnerability did not respond to a request for comment.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:Powerful Flaw Found in IE
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 22:52 »
This is the best bit Simon

Several other popular browsers, including Mozilla and Opera, are not affected and correctly display the actual location of sites taking advantage of the URL hack.

Come on all you suckers out there still using MS IE: when are you going to wise up  ;D :P ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 23:16 »

This is the best bit Simon

Several other popular browsers, including Mozilla and Opera, are not affected and correctly display the actual location of sites taking advantage of the URL hack.

Come on all you suckers out there still using MS IE: when are you going to wise up  ;D :P ;)

Too right, Tony.  I have both Opera and Mozilla and only use IE for the Windows Update site, and if you read my post in "Software Suggestions", you will see I won't be going there again.  :brick:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 23:33 »
Well Dave, all the time I have used Mozilla, I have only found two sites which it is not compatible with. One is the trading platform of my US broker, and the other is EasyJet's flight booker site.

But with that little plugin Simon found installed, it's just "right click" and open in IE:  ;D

Where's your Shaz, Dave?

Edit: EasyJet platform does work on Mozilla

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 23:37 »
Shaz is comforting our mother, as her last remaining brother has died.  I'm not sure why she hasn't been on here recently, but I haven't seen her on MSN Messenger either, so I presume she's having an internet break.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 23:40 »
There is always a close bond between Mothers and Daughters Dave, alway's there when they need each other.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 23:53 »
Sorry to hear that, Dave.  Always just on Christmas, these things happen.   :(

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 13:11 »
You can test this flaw for yourselves (unless you are using Mozilla of course)  ;D :

http://www.zapthedingbat.com/security/ex01/vun1.htm

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 13:54 »
Ah, but you can test it in both browsers Clive, using Mozilla then simply "right click" and hit the "View this page in IE" ;D

IE

MOZ

Go on Clive, install Mozilla, you know it makes sense  ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 16:17 »
:aarrgh:   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 16:53 »
Doesn't it speak volumes that the flaw doesn't work in Mozilla?  We won't give up until you've tried it!  

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2003, 19:03 »
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13158

THE BUG WE REPORTED earlier this week that allows people to spoof fake URL addresses, also partly affects Mozilla, according to Secunia today.
And there's a further vulnerability in Internet Explorer, Secunia claims. This allows the bottom left, status bar of a browser to be manipulated as well as the address bar, so that you're more likely to think a forged site is real.

Secunia said that Mozilla is partly vulnerable to this problem, as you can read here.

Secunia told the INQ this morning that it has devised a test to demonstrate the bug, which you can find here, and has also revised its bulletin to describe these additional problems, here

Now whats that about Mozilla ;)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 20:34 »
:aarrgh:  :curse:  :slug:  :tony:  

Well at least it's only partially vulnerable.  ;D ;D  I did the test, and it was only the lower status bar which might fool some people.  The actual address bar was fine.   :P :D :D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 22:13 »
I always look at the address bar, never think of looking at the bottom tool bar, so there.  :slug:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum