Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Verizon DSL setup problems  (Read 1308 times)

Offline sponge23

• New Registration
Verizon DSL setup problems
« on: July 03, 2005, 17:01 »
I installed set up cd.Connected under network connections.Page can not be displayed on I Explorer and mozilla.Verizon dsl set it is because system resources is low.I currently run at 55%I am not buying what he is saying.It worked ok when I had Cable.Any Help would be appreicated.
                     Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 17:18 »
Hi Sponge and :welcome:

I have never heard of Veizon but looking them up it suggests that youre in the USA.

Are you using a modem or router supplied by them ?
If its a modem are you using USB ?
Have you temporarily disabled your firewall and tried connecting, as thats often the cause of page not displaying and is the first thing that I would check ?

Offline sponge23

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 18:45 »
I disabled the firewall and it says i am connected to the modem, but internet explorer and mozilla do not load - says page cannot be displayed - the verizon guy told me that everything was working properly and i was connected but the pages weren't loading.  he told me to contact my computer manufacturer because there was nothing he could do

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 19:15 »
It definitely sounds like a firewall problem - which one are you using?  Also, you haven't got the Windows Firewall running as well, have you?  Some firewalls don't 'switch off' by simply disabling them, once running.  You may have to go into the firewall options, tell it not to start with Windows, then reboot, to actually be free of it, but obviously don't spend too long online without it.  Just one other thing, I'm not really sure how they work, but do you have to give permission, via the firewall, for the router to access the internet?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 22:47 »
Hes using a modem Simon,
Routers are usually preset to open ports 80 for HTTP and 21 for FTP.

Do you know how to "Ping" ?
If so try pinging the IP addy of a site or another pc and see if that works.

Offline zephra

DSL??
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 23:24 »
Sponge is my brother.I told him about how great  you guys are.I had him set up with charter cable high speed with no problem.Just plug and play.I have had had problems with verizon dsl when I had it.You have to install software.Which crashed my new computer.
Anyway he has a 600mhz compaq 512mb memory all the goodie spyware antivirus/firewall installed.The verizon tech said he needs at least 80% system resources for verizon dsl to run.(he has 53%)I think he is feeding him bull.
My bro said he is connected and recieving and sending packets.(after he installed a new ethernet card)But he gets this page can not be displayed on Ie and mozilla.
I will try having him ping a site .Thanks
Any thoughts?

Thank You Much

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 23:53 »
600mhz and 512mb should be enough for any connection I would have thought.
Problems start at less than 266mhz from what I have seen on various ISP sites.
If he wants to check that its definately not a resource issue then go into Start/Run and type MSCONFIG and then go to start up and untick everything in there apart from the firewall/av programs.
Reboot and then try to connect before he runs any programs at all. If it still wont display a page and the resources are ok then he can tell his ISP that its still not ok.
I cant believe that he needs 80% free though  :shock:

Offline zephra

DSL
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 17:34 »
I forgot to mention.When he had cable he had a router.Now he does not.I dont know much about routers.Could his computer be looking for it?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 19:09 »
I doubt it as that would have connected via an ethernet cable, he is now using a USB modem isnt he ?

I assume that he set a new connection up correctly using the USB modem  ?

Offline zephra

ethernet
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 22:12 »
He is using the ethernet option with the modem not the usb.
    thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 00:26 »
Is he using the cable that came supplied with the modem or the one he used with the router ?

A router to pc uses a straight cable whereas pc to pc uses a crossed one.
I cant think at the moment whether modem to ethernet use straight or crossed but if its the cable that came with the modem then I assume that it would be the correct type.

Has he tried it on the USB connection ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum