Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: FirstAlert!  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
FirstAlert!
« on: November 18, 2003, 22:48 »
Are any other Mailwasher Pro users out there currently participating in the FirstAlert! anti-spam trials?  Having used it for a little while now, my impressions are that it will prove to be a very significant tool in our box of anti-spam tricks.

Registered Mailwasher Pro users can download a free copy of FirstAlert! - which then functions as an enhanced version of MWP - by clicking the link above.  Note that you may have to wait a few days for your U: and P: to come through, though.

Get stuck in, if you're not keen on spam!   ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:FirstAlert!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 23:21 »
That seems to be the best positive step I've seen in a long while!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 23:52 »
I registered for it some time ago, on the 5th November to be precise, but have heard nothing since.  How long is 'a few days' Rodders?  I think it has been at least a couple of weeks so far.

Edit: Just checked e-mail acknowledgement of registration, and it says 'within a few weeks', so I hope to hear something soon.  I did note, however, that there is no mention yet of how much they are going to charge for the service, after the trial period.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 23:52 »
By using a combination of Mailwasher to bounce back spam, and Spamgourmet disposable email addresses to sign up to sites until I know they are responsible, I have cut my amount of spam received to no more than two or three on a bad day.

I wouldn't have believed just how bad the spam problem had become until I installed te eprompter notification program on a neighbour's computer.  I went back a couple of days later to check that it was working, and one of his e-mail accounts had over 300 messages waiting to be downloaded!  There was nothing I could do but advise him to get rid of this particular address.

I have just signed up to the FirstAlert trials.  Any method to eliminate the spam menace should be supported.  However, I can't help but think that if people would take more care, spam would be a minor inconvenience, rather than a serious  problem.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum