Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: What will Ebay think up next  (Read 710 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
What will Ebay think up next
« on: October 04, 2004, 16:04 »
Ebay have just introduced a minimum reserve price listing of £50.  Before this event, sellers could set a reserve as low as they wished thus being able to start the bidding for as little as 1P.

Using the reserve price feature cost the seller £1 but if their item sold they got their £1 refunded and were only charged the the minimum listing fees.

Now sellers are going to have to up their starting price whether item sells or not and Ebay can't lose.  They don't need to refund reserve fees and they obtain higher listing fees regardless of whether item sells or not.

I can see lots of sellers reluctant now to put pricier items up for auction unless they think they might fetch £50 or more.

:(
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:What will Ebay think up next
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 16:55 »
Thats a shame Lona.

I've stopped using ebay as much as I used to due to their increased seller fees. Also as they own paypal and the fees on paypal are so high - I've stopped accepting this as payment (unless the seller has no other option).

I recently had a problem with paypal....

I sold a TFT on ebay and sent it via parcelforce - who decided to "lose" it! The buyer did a 'chargeback' on paypal - leaveing my account in debt.  I asked them to be patient until parcelforce decided that it was lost and gave me compensation - but they didn't.

I was out of pocket for about 3 weeks, whilst parcelforce finished there investigations. Paypal sided with the buyer (who had only used  paypal 3 times) unlike myself who had used them about 60 times - but not any more!!  They were most unhelpful - stating that I never sent the item - when I had proof and parcelforce wrote them a letter stating I had.  I have a 100% positive feedack of over 150 by the way!

Anyway in the end it was left to me to get a refund off parcelforce - which was a nightmare in itself.

Rant over :tony:  ;D

DJ

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:What will Ebay think up next
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 01:56 »
Well, I've joined Ebid but don't think they do as much business as ebay.

I talked today to livechat ebay support and they said I can pull my items if it's 12 hours before the end of sale if I think it's not going to sell. Not a great help all the same, is it. If you pull your items at the last minute you can be suspended or kicked off altogether. :(
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum