Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Norton and Java problem  (Read 1546 times)

Offline momad30044

Norton and Java problem
« on: October 01, 2005, 00:15 »
Our public library is online so I'm able to renew books etc.  Within the last week or so, when I try to access the site I get a JAVA message that says "No proxy."  There's actually more to the message than that, but the computer then freezes and I have to shut AOL off and start over.  Any thoughts?  My computer is a Gateway laptop with Windows XP.  I've checked with the library and they've not had any complaints from anyone else, so it's definitely a problem with my computer.

My other question is in regards to Norton and McAfee.  They came loaded on the computer and I hate them.  Norton pops up almost constantly and I can't figure out how to shut it off.  I prefer to use AVG and Ad-aware...Do I need to keep Norton and McAfee?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

Debbie

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Norton and Java problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:32 »
Hi Debbie, glad you managed to get back in  :)

Its not a good idea, I dont think, to have two AV programs running on the same pc.
If you prefer AVG then uninstal Norton and Macafee and just run with AVG.

There's actually more to the message than that, but the computer then freezes and I have to shut AOL off and start over

Can you access it the next time round or are you unable to access the library page at all ?

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Norton and Java problem
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:50 »
Just a thought, but is it Norton Firewall and McAfee Anti Virus?  They would work OK together, as long as you were not also running Windows Firewall.  It could well be Norton Firewall which keeps 'popping up'.  Anyway, as Sandra said, you can uninstall them and change to what you want.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum