Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: rasautou.exe disconnecting broadband  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
rasautou.exe disconnecting broadband
« on: February 25, 2006, 09:52 »
For some time, I have been experiencing random disconnections when using my broadband.  I have just installed F-secure, and for the first time, I have managed to find out what could be the cause, which appears to be rasautou.exe.  This is apparently Microsoft's Remote Access Dial Up service, which is trying to establish a connection.  Does anyone know anything about this, and why it should be trying to make a connection via my dial up modem?  I have done spyware scans with every conceivable program, and nothing has been found.  I have now disabled my dial up modem, so as to hopefully avoid further broadband disconnections.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 15:22 »
This is for 2K and NT Simon but the command that shows what its been dialling will probably work in XP too.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152220

Shows 0 ones on mine but I dont have a 56K modem connected.

Came across this too Simon, plus a few other sites that said its possibly desirable for some programs to work properly.
Cant see why though if its using the 56K modem while you are on ADSL  :?

Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 Remote Access Dialler. This task will appear in your Task List if your PC or Server is currently handling or waiting to handle an incoming modem based connection from a remote user or system (dial-up modem, ISDN, USB ADSL modems). It will also appear if there is software on your system which needs to dial out automatically whenever a particular event occurs and without waiting for user input.
Recommendation :
Leave alone unless you know for certain that your PC/Server has no business waiting for an incoming remote connection, or that it should not have software which dials out automatically. If you find that your PC is connecting automatically via RASAUTOU without reason, then run Spybot in case you may have adware or spyware which is trying to connect to remote servers.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 19:12 »
Don't know if this makes any sense to you, Sandra, but it sure as hell doesn't to me!

The only thing I can think of which might use the dial up modem, is the Windows Fax Machine.  I will check it, but I'm certain it's not set to receive, and even if it was that, I would have thought it would have been more obvious.  :?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 23:31 »
Doesnt mean anything to me either Simon.
Are al your programs working ok with it disabled, as far as you know ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 00:09 »
With the dial up modem disabled, yes, but I haven't touched this rasautou.exe as yet, as all of the stuff Google brings up, seems to indicate that it's an XP system file, and shouldn't be removed.  However, since disabling my dial up modem, I once again experienced a dropped broadband connection tonight, and again, it seems to be this rasautou.exe trying to establish another connection.  As I have disabled the dial up modem, it must be trying to use the DSL modem, but I don't understand why it should be trying to make another connection, when there's already one active.  As I said, this has been happening for a while now, but it's only since I installed F-Secure that I have found out what's causing the disconnections.  
All I need to know now, is why? :?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 01:13 »
Just had a look in my Local Services Simon, mines set to manual and is currently stopped.

If yours is set to auto or is started then it may be because I am on a router and youre on a modem, making yours run but not mine  :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 10:59 »
I have two entries - one is Remote Access Connection Manager, which is currently set to Manual, and is Started, and the other is Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, which is also set to Manual and currently stopped.  The description for the Auto one is:-

Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address

The mystery is, which program is trying to do this?  I may change the Auto one to Disabled and see if anything happens.  I am almost convinced this is nothing sinister, but it's annoying that it seems to keep dropping my DSL connection.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 11:06 »
You need the Remote Access Connection Manager Simon if you ever use RA.

I dont think that you need the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 11:56 »
OK, well nothing untoward has happened so far - but I have another question now, which I'll put in a new thread....   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum