Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ACPI/BIOS error... do i need to upgrade my BIOS?  (Read 4230 times)

Offline bibbity

ACPI/BIOS error... do i need to upgrade my BIOS?
« on: September 15, 2003, 12:45 »

Hello,

My Windows XP PC freezes often.  Simply freezes.  No blue screen.  No death cry.  Just stops.  Even the mouse stops moving.  As if it had eaten a deadly mouse poison.  A very quick acting poison; it doesn't give the mouse a chance to kick or jerk about violently in death throes or anything!  No throes.  Just death.  Frozen death.  

I have to (hard) reboot the PC to get it back to life.  

"Clear!"  
*apply EEG*  
*bang!*  
...and it comes back to life.  

Checking the system log I found that this message was being displayed just before the freeze, each time:
ERROR:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Searching the net for possible solutions led me to think that maybe I should get my BIOS updated....
Do I need to get my BIOS updated?  
If so is it possible to do this without sending my credit card details to very dubious looking internet sites?

Thanks for any help
BibbityBobbityBoo.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:ACPI/BIOS error... do i need to upgrade my BIOS?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 12:55 »
BibbityBobbityBoo  ;D

Serenity 1 of our Blonde members has had the same problem, I cant find the link right now (in a hurry to get back to work) but I think she has cured it but not sure have a look at her posts.

Hookstar   8)

Adept

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 13:53 »
Hiya BBB :welcome: You sound like our kind of nutter ;)

I regularly get that error message in my error log and don't have any problems with freezing. However the aforementioned Serenity does have the messages and her PC regularly freezes. I have suggested that she buys the PC a sweater and some warm socks ;)

Updating your BIOS can be very easy and it can be fraught with danger. It all depends on the make of motherboard you are using and your personal level of technical expertise.

I'll let Serenity tell you how her BIOS upgrade went ::) I'm not ready for a nervous breakdown today :lol:

Could you let us know the make and model of your motherboard? This information will allow us to find out if you need to update the BIOS. My guess is that you probably don't and that whatever is causing the freezing lies elsewhere :)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 14:15 »

I'll let Serenity tell you how her BIOS upgrade went ::)

Hi Bibbity and  :welcome:  Yes I had an identical problem and Im afraid to say that although I flashed the BIOS it was unsuccessful and I have had to resort to buying a new mother board  :'( (which I may add arrived today) so all I can say is I wish you well if you intend to have a go at flashing the BIOS but be prepared to shell out ££ if it all goes wrong.  If that happens im sure one of our "Techies" will point you in the right direction for suitable replacements.

p.s. A word of warning PLEASE dont let on if you are BLONDE  ::)  they will tease you unmercifully  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 14:23 »
Actually it did say it was successful Serenity so I think it did flash it correctly but whether it was an incorrect bios for your version of motherboard or not we couldnt really be certain  ???

Offline bibbity

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 04:47 »

Thank you all for your help.  

Adept's comment about buying "a sweater and some warm socks" for my PC makes me think positively that "Gee I really could fix my own PC problems".  But then I come across more frightening terms like "technical expertise".  

Much as I appreciate Serenity's warning re blondeness, I feel when it comes to PC's I am, if not pretty enough to be blonde, at least closely related to our fair-haired friends.  

PC Shop here I come.... now my only trouble is where I live they only speak chinese.  Anybody know how to say "flash upgrade my bios" in chinese?

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 07:19 »

PC Shop here I come.... now my only trouble is where I live they only speak chinese.  Anybody know how to say "flash upgrade my bios" in chinese?

Here was where the chinese characters were.. but it screwed up  :-\ and it was soo flunny as well

刹那升级我的生物活素

;D.. Trust me I'm a blonde hair chinese man

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 16:18 »
:wave:  If off home to fit my new Mobo  ::)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 16:22 »
Well the forum should be quieter for a few days now that Serenitys gone  ;D ;D ;D

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 19:08 »
I hope someone is going to be on the end of the telephone for Serenity tonight!  Good luck with it, we are all rooting for you.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 23:25 »
I am on the phone to her now Clive  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 23:29 »
:eeek:  :pmsl:   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Online Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 23:30 »
My heart is in my mouth.  I know it's not an easy job to change a motherboard.  Adept told me that.   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 01:42 »
She is now connected to the net guys so unfortunately we wont have any peace and quiet now  ::)
I have just put the phone down after approximately 2.5 hours spent trying to sort her cable BB connection out and getting USB ports enabled in BIOS and sorting a few driver problems out.
Its a lot easier to set the BB connection out using the BB setup CD I have found than by using the NTL world one,(someone didnt tell me she had 2 CDs from NTL)  ::)

Online Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2003, 08:25 »
:heehee:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum