Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New Ad-aware user  (Read 752 times)

Offline Jo

New Ad-aware user
« on: April 26, 2004, 17:27 »
Oh dear...I've installed and run ad-aware and don't really understand what I need to keep and what needs to be deleted.  Have searched this forum but haven't come across anything that will help me.  Up until now I have been trusting my Norton firewall...foolish me!  What's the next step then in using this program to get rid of those nasty spies!?

Offline Shaz

• Established Member
Re:New Ad-aware user
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 17:33 »
Hi Jo have you looked in the help section  of Adaware? Im sure theres a section that tells you whats what, hope this helps :)
een away but back with a vengence!!!!

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 17:50 »
Hi Jo and

Run deep scan of your hard drive. It will scan your pc and when it finds spyware click next and it will put the spyware into quarantine. Then go into quarantine and delete the offending spyware. Hope this helps.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Jo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 18:04 »
thanks Lona. I've done a deep scan but am worried about deleting the wrong thing. the list is huge-what sort of spyware am I looking for?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 18:07 »
Hi Jo

I never really question ad-aware. I always delete everything in quarentine and have never had any problems.  They are all mostly data miners and such.
If you give me an idea of the files then I can put your mind at rest.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 18:30 »
Hi Jo,

It's usually safe to delete everything Ad Aware finds.  I think the worst that can happen is that if a program you have installed relies on adware / spyware to run (i.e. Kazaa, etc), it may no longer work, but in my opinion, those types of program are not worth having anyway as there are usually free alternatives.  Ad Aware quarrantines what you delete (as Lona said), so you could always leave the deleted stuff in quarrantine, until you are sure everything else still works.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum