Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: My ICS isn't working anymore! :(  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Naruto

My ICS isn't working anymore! :(
« on: October 29, 2003, 19:01 »
Hiya peepz,

I tried to overclock my cpu, but something went wrong and I couldn't start my pc anymore. So I removed the battery to clear the bios. After I restart the computer, windows is installing all the drivers. The configuration for internet sharing was still the same on host and on client, but strangely...it doesn't work anymore..The host and client can't see each other anymore...I haven't changed anything...what went wrong?

Greetz,

Naruto

Offline Naruto

Re:My ICS isn't working anymore! :(
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 19:23 »
Hmm windows also says my wan miniport isn't installed properly. I can't find the correct driver for it. I don't even know what it is. Don't know if it is related to the non working part of my internet connection sharing?

Greetz,

Naruto

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 20:23 »
Not sure if this is entirely relevant, Naruto, but some parts of it may help.  It's to do with ISDN, by the look of things.

http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/con2ken/isdn_wmp_install.asp

Just a thought, have you looked in Device Manager, under Modems?  If you can find this 'wan miniport' in there, and uninstall it, when you restart Windows, it may well find the drivers for you.

Also, if you do a Google search for 'Wan Miniport', loads of stuff comes up, some of which may be useful to you.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Naruto

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 21:39 »
hmm but I don't have any ISDN cards in my pc. Kinda weird...But it's really strange that my internet sharing doesn't work anymore...I can't even have a lan connection to the other pc. It worked fine until now...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 21:57 »
Sorry Naruto.  :-\  Hopefully someone more technical will be able to help you soon.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Naruto

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 21:58 »
Np Simon, thx for your help anywayz :P

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 22:11 »
The WAN miniport is part of your adsl modem Naruto, assuming you have adsl.
I think that you have reset the bios defaults by removing the battery.
Have you got an ethernet link from pc to pc or is it via a router?
Does it show the ethernet link as ok in device manager ?
If it is as I susupect an onboard LAN on the pc that you cleared the cmos then go into bios and check to see that the onboard LAN is enabled :doggie:

Offline Naruto

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 13:02 »
Hi Sandra,

I have installed 2 ethernetcards on the hostcomputer. One is connected to the cablemodem and the other is connected directly to the client computer. I have given the computers a static ipaddress. It worked fine until my biossettings got cleared. My motherboard (MSI 6712 KT4V) doesn't support onboard Lan.
My pc is getting weirder and weirder :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 13:08 »
Is it detecting the 2 ethernet cards in the device manager correctly ?

Offline Naruto

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 14:02 »
The device manager is detected the 2 ethernet cards correctly, but it detected a wan miniport(ipx) adapter too.. I just can't seem to find the right driver for it. I'm not using ISDN and my motherboard haven't got any onboard components for this...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 14:40 »
Just an idea, but how about un-installing the wan miniport from the device manager, then letting Windows re-detect it.  You can then select the option to search the web for drivers when it tries to re-install.

Offline Naruto

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 16:21 »
I tried to uninstall it. The device manager isn't capable to do that. I get the warning: Can't delete the device, it is possible needed to start the computer.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 17:38 »
Try uninstalling the modem and the wan miniport from inside device manager in Safe Mode.
It may think that something is using it when its in normal windows.
Then reboot and see if it detects and installs the modem correctly, without the wan miniport hopefully  :)

Offline Naruto

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 18:09 »
LOL :-) I checked the device manager in safe mode...damnz.. I was amazed how many mini ports was installed hehehe. Wan miniport(ip), Wan-miniport(ipx), wan-miniport(ip)packetplanner etc. etc..and the funny thing is..I can't delete them in safe mode either!! that freaks me out...

Offline Naruto

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 12:15 »
Finally my ics is working again :) Uninstalling the drivers in safemode doesn't work strange enough. I pulled out my ethernetcard and started the system (something weird pops out in device manager...direct parallel port is disabled, I enabled it and put back the ethernetcard. I can't find any link, but it works :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum